top of page

Home  >  Family  >  Spouses or Common Law  >  OutlandSpousal Sponsorship

Outland spousal sponsorship

Outland spousal sponsorship provides applicants with the ability to sponsor the spouse or common-law partner for PR, regardless of where they are living.

Interesting fact (!) Applicants living in Canada may choose to apply for this stream, as it may allow them to travel in and out of Canada more easily.

Outland spousal sponsorships do not require the sponsor to prove the income in order to be eligible for the program if they are sponsoring their spouse or their dependent children.

Spousal sponsorship applications are processed within 12 months in the majority of cases.


The relationship between the sponsor and sponsored person must be either a legal marriage or a common-law or conjugal partnership.


To be legally valid, the marriage must either have been legally performed in Canada or, if performed outside of Canada, legally recognized in both the country where it took place and in Canada.


For information:

bottom of page