top of page

Home  >  Family  >  Spouses or Common Law

Canadian citizens and PRs can sponsor their spouses, common-law partners and their dependant children to become PRs in Canada.

To be eligible to sponsor a spouse/common-law partner the sponsor must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. At least 18 years old

  2. Live or plan to live in Canada(depends on the situation)

  3. Not in receipt of social assistance for reasons other than a disability

  4. Able to provide basic needs for sponsor and sponsored


Interesting fact(!) There is usually no income requirements.

The process for sponsoring spouse and common-law partners are slightly different. The main difference is with the proof of relationship.

For information:


There are 3 main categories for spousal sponsorship:

Married - You can sponsor the person as your spouse if your marriage is a legally valid civil marriage.


Opposite and same-gender marriages, will be recognized for immigration purposes, where the marriage:

  1. was legally performed in Canada, or

  2. if performed outside of Canada, the marriage must be legally recognized in the country where it took place and in Canada.

Common-law relationship - You can sponsor the person as your common-law partner (same or opposite gender) as long as you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.


Conjugal relationship

A conjugal partner is:

  • a person who is living outside Canada,

  • in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year, and

  • could not live with the sponsor as a couple because of reasons beyond their control (e.g. immigration barrier, religious reasons or sexual orientation).

This term applies to both opposite and same-gender couples.

More details about spousal sponsorship on the following pages:

bottom of page