top of page

Home  >  Temporary Immigration  >  Study Permit  >  Working during education

Working when on study permit:

Please note that you can only start working in Canada when you start your study program, and you can not do it before.



You can work on your school campus, without a work permit, if you:

  • are a full-time post-secondary student at a:

    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

    • private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or

    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law

  • have a valid study permit, and

  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).


For information:



You can work for up to 20 hours a week during the studies and full time during scheduled breaks in the school year if :


For  information:


Work as a co-op student or intern


Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit

  • work is required to complete your study program in Canada

  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and

  • your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

For  information:

bottom of page